Sunday, April 29, 2012

Working with Photoshop

I have to admit, I'm a bit of a baby, but the idea of working with photoshop really scared me. I've seen other people post fantastic pics using the software on places like facebook, and I've always been jealous of how nicely they are able to get their photos to look. I've tried messing with the software myself before (and even scanned through a "Photoshop for Dummies" book once from the library. Ultimately, I never got it, and either messed up my photos or left feeling unworthy of navigating the software.

When I began working with my photo elements for our in class assignment, I did so sure I was going to have the worst looking photo in the class. It was really helpful to follow along with Denvy as he worked through his own example. When I set to work on my own project, I was actually feeling a bit confident.

Although there were a few things I felt I couldn't remember (I never did get a shadow into my picture), I did walk away from the project feeling like I knew a little more. I understand what a layer is now, and how they can help me create different images. I have some idea of how to play with fun features, and change up my photos a little bit. I think the most valuable lesson I walked away with, though, was the value of having a computer for each student to work on while they are learning new technological concepts.

I don't think I would have been able to and retain half of what I did had I not had the ability to be playing around with my own computer while watching the instructor explain through things. I also realize that I wil probably not be in a situation where this is possible (at least not on a daily basis).

This will help me to become a better teacher in the classroom as I realize the value of real-time, hands-on experience, and try to give it to my students as much as I can when utilizing technology. Even if it just means getting each one up and trying things out WHILE THEY HAVE ME THERE FOR GUIDANCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment