Saturday, June 2, 2012

Website Creation

Well, I officially started my website.  I originally thought I would be creating my future classroom website, but after thinking about it realized that I wouldn't have my WOU directory forever (and even if I did, I probably wouldn't use it in my professional life).  Therefore, I made a last minute decision to just go ahead and create something visual for fun.

I tried to think of subjects that would fit well with the 5-link requirement.  I wanted to find an interesting subject that would have enough (but not too much) information.  A lot of my initial thoughts had too much that would have to get left out with only 5 links, and I didn't want to take on the responsibility of more than 5 if I found myself overwhelmed.  I finally settled on the seasons of the year.

I ran into a couple snags as I worked with Dreamweaver, but those were more my errors than anything.  Despite thinking I was saving everything in the correct category, I wasn't.  Dreamweaver itself turned out to be pretty "unscary".  And this is coming from the girl who was D-R-E-A-D-I-N-G this week's project.

I was happy to learn that I didn't actually have to do any real code-writing.  The program pretty much takes care of that for me.  I even found that there were some features I really liked, like the ability to drag the button next to the "link" box right to my desired destination, rather than writing it in.

At the very least, I think this opportunity has made the idea of website formation a lot less scary for me.  I definitely needed a push in this direction, and even if I don't ever use it, my confidence has grown.  On the flip side, I can certainly see myself creating a class website someday.  I really like the idea of not having someone else own my website and the information included.  If I ever do create a class website, I would want the rights to be my own, so that I know in the long run I am the one in control of all my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment